We can all agree that obesity is out of control. More and more people are getting bigger and bigger. This is leading to more and more health issues, along with a lower quality of life. How do we stop it?
There are a lot of different thoughts out there about how to end obesity. The government has stepped in, and a lot of people think that they are responsible for figuring it out. Billions of dollars are spent on “miracle pills” that people think will work. Insurance companies are stepping up their role, realizing that helping people get healthier will save them a fortune.
Who do YOU think is responsible?
Personally, I think that this is a no brainer. YOU! You are responsibly for your health. It is not the government sitting on the couch watching TV instead of exercising. It is not the insurance companies eating fast food instead of fruit and vegetables. You are the one making the decision to take your health seriously. It amazes me how people can spend years, even decades destroying their bodies, but then, 10 days before a big event, think they can find a way to lose all of the weight they have gained. Being healthy isn’t a 10 days diet, or a fast. It isn’t taking a bunch of pills. Being healthy is a lifestyle. It is eating right and exercising. It is controlling your stress levels, growing as a person (not literally growing).
I understand that a lot of people have medical issues that lead to weight gain. That is understandable, and you have a reason that things are harder for you. However, the only things that most people suffer from that lead to weight gain are poor nutrition choices and laziness. If your excuse has been lack of education, you are losing that excuse right now.
How to Live a Healthier Life
There is a TON of info out there on healthy living. I am going to stick with the basics. This will help keep you from being overwhelmed. Focus on these simple steps and watch things start changing.
Fighting Obesity – Nutrition 101
- There is NO miracle pill that will make you healthy. The closest thing to a “miracle” supplement that you will find is WATER! The biggest first step that you can make is putting down the can of soda and pouring yourself a glass of water.
- Coffee (in moderation) is OK, but organic green tea is a better choice.
- Put down the while, pick up the whole wheat. White bread, pasta and rice have had the best nutrients removed to make them last longer (many companies sell the things they take out to health food stores). They then bleach the bread to make it white, instead of the grayish color that it is before the bleach. Eat whole wheat! Not white, not enriched, whole wheat!
- Lean meats may be more expensive, but you’ll pay more in the long run for the cheaper stuff. We hear a lot about the hormones and other additives that are in the meat that we eat. The vast majority of the toxins are stored in the animal’s fat. That means that eating leaner meat means less of the garbage, not to mention the obvious, less fat!
- When it comes to fruit and vegetables, EAT THEM! Be sure to clean it first and load up! INSERT SHAKEOLOGY AD
- Do your best to avoid highly processed, high preservative foods. They call it “perimeter shopping”. The majority of your grocery shopping should be around the perimeter of the grocery store, not in the middle. Most of the items in the middle of the store are loaded with things that you don’t want in your body.
Use common sense when it comes what you eat. Check out Living Food vs Dead Food for more on what to eat and what to avoid.
Fighting Obesity With Exercise
When it comes to exercise, I am a firm believer that something is better than nothing. If you know me, you know that I am passionate about Beachbody’s fitness programs. I love P90X and Body Beast! Does that mean that everyone should use those programs? No! Maybe you aren’t ready for a fitness program yet. Go for a walk a few times a week. Gradually increase the distance and pace of the walk. Start to include bursts of jogging. Don’t want to walk? Try swimming, bike riding, hiking, dancing, etc. A lot of people ask me what the best exercise is. My answer is easy. The best exercise is the one that you will actually do. If it is going to sit on the shelf, why would you buy Les Mills Pump? If you don’t like martial arts based programs, don’t buy Les Mills Combat. Find something that you enjoy. If you can’t find a single exercise that you like, well, suck it up and pick one. This is your health that we are talking about!
The easiest way that I have found for people to combine exercise and nutrition is the Team Beachbody Challenge Packs. You select the fitness program and flavor of Shakeology, and then follow the program and drink the Shakeology. Check out your options.